Wednesday, March 4, 2009

So much to do!

I finally got around to making a blog for my trip to England. So much has happened in the last couple of months. I lived with strangers in Butler, PA, who turned out to be wonderful and automotive experts. I ended up spending well over $1,000 on my stupid car. I had the privilege of working with Margaret for 7 weeks and meeting/teaching a very interesting case load of students. My eyes were definitely opened to the world of itinerant teaching and I couldn't have had a better teacher to work with! I spent my weekends at IUP with my friends who were more than generous when it came to letting me stay with them and who, as always, provide good times on the weekend. Whether we were glued to the couch watching hours of Nip/Tuck, playing games, or at the bar, I knew I was always in good company.

Some random things about my first deaf ed. placement:
-Because of the amount of driving involved, I used 14 full tanks of gas in 7 weeks.
-I drove over 3,000 miles
-I needed to rent a car twice
-I learned EVERY single word to EVERY single pop/rap/r&b song that is out on the radio because I don't have an adapter for my iPod to use in the car
-I watched 5 complete seasons of Nip/Tuck
-I learned what it really meant to be cold when my heating system broke in my car and the high temperature for the day was 5 degrees
-I worked with THE BEST CO-OP EVER!!!
-I met some pretty interesting students to say the least

So I have 2 and a half days to rearrange my life and get ready for ENGLAND! I am so happy I am taking advantage of this opportunity. While financially I am already in the hole, I figure a chance like this doesn't come about too often so I might as well go for it.

I still have to find a suitcase and figure out how to get two months of my life into it. I contacted my host family yesterday and they said they are really excited to meet me, which makes me feel a little bit better. The lady (Claire) has a 14 yr. old daughter and the only thing they asked for in the email was for me to bring them Hershey bars and Skittles. HA! I think we will get along JUST fine.

I am going to Boarders today with my sister to look at travel books because she is flying out April 10th and we are probably going to France and Spain. I AM SO EXCITED!!!

Ok, enough of this. I have lots to do and not a lot of time. The whole family is coming over tomorrow for dinner and I can't wait to see them all! (and Duke!!!)

-Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Lisa!
    That's soooo cool that you're heading to England! I just got back from a semester in Ireland, and we spent a week in London. Freaking coolest place I've EVER been! Good luck being broke though... not exactly the cheapest place ever... still... I'm so excited for you! Have a great time

    ~Mariwyn~

    ReplyDelete